Annex 7. Past Work on Data Management Issues at the IMF
- International Monetary Fund. Independent Evaluation Office
- Published Date:
- April 2016
Show Summary Details
Studies of the Fund’s data management problems date at least from the 1960s. The following selectively documents the many efforts by the Fund to tackle these problems:
- 1964—Management appointed an Advisory Committee on the Program of the Bureau of Statistics, comprised of outside experts.
- 1989—Data Management Survey, by Douglas A. Scott.
- 1990—Memorandum on “Enhanced Statistical Collaboration,” by John McLenaghan.
- 1994—”Two Information Machines within One Organization: Policy, Statistics, and Information Work at the International Monetary Fund,” by Richard H.R. Harper (Rank Xerox Research Center).
- 1995—Report of the Interdepartmental Working Group on Data Management.
- 1996—Issuance of the Model Data Management Guidelines for Economic Databases, by Donogh McDonald.
- 1999—”Review of Data Management Initiatives,” by Eduard Brau and Horst Struckmeyer.
- 2004—”Report on Information Management in the Fund,” by the Patricia Seybold Group.
- 2005—”Data Consistency in IMF Publications: Country Staff Reports Versus International Financial Statistics,” IMF Working Paper No. 05/46 (March 2005), by Anthony Pellechio and John Cady.
- 2005—Information Technology Spending Review, by taskforce headed by Christopher Towe.
- 2007—“Review of Controls over Data and Risk Exposures in Data Management,” prepared by IMF Office of Internal Audit and Inspection.
- 2009—Memorandum on “Progress on the Implementation of the Data Management Guidelines and Structured Databases” (May 2009).
- 2009—Report of the Working Group on Data Issues for Multilateral Surveillance (June 2009).
- 2009—”A Fund-Wide Economic Data Management Initiative,” prepared by IMF Statistics Department (December 2009).
- 2010—“Stock Taking of Economic Data Management in the Fund” (August 27, 2010), prepared by the EDMI Task Force.
- 2010/2011—”Data Management Framework and Governance,” by Gartner, Inc.
- 2011—EDMI Final Report: “Options to Strengthen Data Management in the Fund,” Volumes I and II (June 10, 2011), prepared by the EDMI Task Force.